Separating Fact from Fiction
A cancer diagnosis is one of the scariest events that can happen in a person’s life, especially if he or she is a child with little understanding of the condition or what the treatments will entail. The Kyssi Andrews Foundation for Pediatric Cancer is dedicated to helping families obtain quality information about their illness, soliciting information from medical professionals with years of experience.
Knowledge is key to understanding, especially with children that need to know that there is hope for their recovery and their future.
Pediatric Cancer Facts
- Cancer is the 2nd leading cause of death in children
- 50,000 children are fighting in hospitals and 500,000 children are fighting globally.
- Cancer kills more children than Cystic Fibrosis, Muscular Dystrophy, AIDS and Asthma ALL COMBINED.
- Children are having to be treated with adult chemotherapy formulas because there is not enough research or funding for children.
- One out of five die… Approximately 20 percent of all children with cancer will die from their disease, a secondary cancer or complications from treatment.
- The risk of many adult cancers can be reduced with certain lifestyle changes (such as staying at a healthy weight or quitting smoking), but at this time the causes of childhood cancers are largely unknown, and for the most part they cannot be detected early until symptoms occur nor can it be prevented.
- Sadly….ONLY 4% of the NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE’S BUDGET is used for PEDIATRIC FUNDING… which means that kids are suffering and far too many are dying.